Hurtta Owners Size Chart
Monday, 22nd February 2016
Hurtta Size Guide
MEASURING THE DOG
1. The back length should be measured from the withers (not the collar) to the base of the tail, while the dog is standing in normal position.
2. The neckline measurement should be taken at the base of the neck, this being the widest point of the neck. The neckline of an overall can be larger than the circumference of the dog’s neck, as it can be adjusted to fit a smaller neck.
3. The chest measurement should be taken at the widest point of the chest, from behind the front legs. To ensure sufficient freedom of movement, the chest of an overall should be 5–20 cm/2-8” wider than the dog’s chest.
4. The front leg length should be measured from the bottom of the rib cage along the inner side of the leg to the wrist bone. The legs of an overall are of an appropriate length when they reach down to the dog’s forearms.
Note: If the purpose of the overall is to protect the fur of a long-haired dog, the legs of the overall can be longer than listed above. In this case, however, the overall should only be worn when the dog is on a leash or under its owner’s supervision.
GUIDELINES FOR FINDING THE CORRECT VEST SIZE
1. The chest measurement is taken around the chest horizontally at its widest point.
2. The hip measurement is taken around the hips at their widest point.
3. The length of the vest is a line dropped from the top of the collar to the hem.
HOW TO PICK THE CORRECT SIZE OF THE UPDATED Y HARNESS FOR YOUR DOG?
There are a few differences between the old and the new models of the Y harness which affect the choice of the correct size for your dog. These instructions have been written to make it easier to choose the correct harness size of the more versatile and ergonomic updated Y harness.
First, measure your dog’s chest. The dog’s chest measurement should be taken at the widest point of the chest, from behind the front legs. The chest strap of the harness will settle at about 5 cm/2" behind the point of the chest measurement. This is why the chest measurement taken from the position of the strap may be less than the measurement taken from the widest point of the dog's chest. Depending on the shape of your dog's chest, it may be possible to choose a smaller size of the updated harness model.
For example, for a dog with a chest measurement of 63 cm/25'' the correct size of the old harness would be 70. With the updated Y harness model, it is possible also to try on a size 60 harness, and if the chest strap can be adjusted to fit the dog, this size of harness can be chosen.
The easiest way to find the correct harness size for your dog is to try the harness on your dog. If you do not have the opportunity to try the harness on your dog and the circumference of your dog’s chest gets significantly smaller right behind the widest point of the chest, you may take a control measurement for choosing the correct harness size. The point at which the chest strap settles always depends on the depth.